March 07, 2009

Sea Otter is Just Around the Corner...

...and Haro will be there. "Mr. C" phoned me this week to let me in a few bits of info.
Haro will have a fleet of Beasleys for those podering the effects of an in-betweener wheel size, ala 650B. He also wanted me to notify everyone there will be 2 650B Sonix at their tent as well. I have found out there are 4 650B Prototypes currently in the USA. The 2 brand managers of Haro are both rocking one, and a SoCal sales rep now has one in his possesion. I used to work with the outside rep, but he refuses to lend me the SonixB. The 4th prototype remains in the Haro HQ so they can nail down decal placement and final graphic choice. Once those decisions have been made Haro has promised to complete the build and send it to me, free of charge so I can ride it and laugh and point at others who do not have one, and must wait to pay full retail price of said bicycle. Everything in this post is true, with the exception of the last sentence. Too bad, so sad- for me. Here is a reminder photo of the VL equipped SonixB prototype. How do you like the color?

4 comments:

jkeiffer said...

I like the color just fine. I'd rather know how it rides and how much it weighs...

mMullins said...

Agreed, jkeiffer. I'm still skeptical of that suspension design. Maybe just because it looks quirky, but it also makes me think it won't be a stable cranking platform...Thoughts?

Cracked Headtube said...

I've had a 26" Sonix since 2006, the platform is great. AND, I haven't read a poor review on it. The fork I use with my Sonix is currently getting rebuilt by the manufacturer. If you check back in the 2007 Archives you will find more info on my personal Sonix VL120. It is from the same deisgner who brought us the VPP platform. With the VL (Virtual Link), he wanted to take it a set further. The lower pivot is concentric around the bottom bracket, so chain growth in nill. I have ridden Trek Fuels, Specialized FSR, and this is by FAR a better pedalling platform. I'm stoked to see Haro take the VL to 650B!

mMullins said...

I've read a few reviews and even discovered that an out of state friend has one of the Sonix series bikes...everything seems very promising. I must say that this prototype looks a lot more like their current all-mountain Xeon frames than the Sonix, though. I've found a much more affordable option than saving up for an El Bastardo...hooray!