March 09, 2008

Quasi Ridden

Well, I participated in the Annual Squiggy 6hr race. I say participated, because I usually do it on a team but this year I didn't want to disappoint anyone, so I did it solo. The 'fam' came out between laps and brought a sandwich, after which, I didn't want to ride anymore.
I took bikes equipped with both of Pacenti's tires: The 2.3 Neo-Moto and the 2.0 Quasi-Moto.
I mounted up the Quasi's on my VooDoo single speed. I took this bike for the first lap. This year's Squiggy Classic had the worst trail conditions in the past 3 years of my particpation. Friday: rain, all day and into the evening. Saturday: race day was windy and cool, and the temps slowly dropped through the day.
Florida is known for swamp and marsh, but typically we choose not to ride through such environments. Friday's rain force us into said landscapes. Pleasantly surprised, the Quasi-Motos held their ground, or lack there of. My front slid out once, but I was probably going too fast into that turn anyways... I didn't go down just lost a bit of traction. I ran pressure just under 40psi.
Funny thing about the race trail, there spots of total submersion, up to my BB, then some spot were still sandy as the beach. Our stupid rooty section dried in time so I didn't slide over or off them.
This years first lap was my fastest I've had. Now, I'm no marathon racer by any-means, nor do I compete regularly.
I'm just saying my SS Quasi-Moto bike was faster than my Neo-Moto geared FS. Even over our extremely rooted sections. Lets not for get the mud!
The VooDoo Bokor was a champ when it came to mud clearance. Never did I feel a hint of clogging. And the X-Fusion preformed nicely. I did begin to hear clunking sound after lap one. The cause is still to e determined. It was only happening at higher compressions, perhaps I had the rebound wrong for the terrain. I'm looking into this later this week.
The Haro Sonix with Neo-Motos help the muck too, but I did fell much slowing due to clog action. If you are riding a 26" Conversion to 650B, mud is tough. My clearance with the LT swingarm (URT) is about 6.5mm. Probably not enough in this case. So, be warned.
I'd like to try the Quasi-Motos on the Sonix, but for now I'm falling in love with my SS again.



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great writeup and photos. I can't wait to get some quasimotos!

Anonymous said...

Congrats on the race. I too rode my proto's this weekend. Good tires so far.